Auto Club of Southern California Stop Sign » Circa 1940
This is part of Los Angeles' "GU Series" — signs that have been issued by organizations, like this one from the Auto Club of Southern California.
The "cateye" marble reflectors pop through holes in the letters, and are held in by a box fastened to the back of the sign (second photo). "G5 A15" is stenciled on the back of the sign — This code pinpoints whre the sign was located.
Stop - Thru Highway » Circa 1940
This heavy-guage steel sign has been restored to its original yellow and black color. The legends on most stop signs from this era were similarly arranged: the main legend ("STOP") in the center of the sign, and a sub-legend ("THRU TRAFFIC") above and below the main message.
Stop signs under current highway standards never contan additional legends other than STOP on a single plate.
Yellow stop signs were first posted in the mid-1920s, and although white-on-red was established in 1954, yellow stop signs were still used well into the 1960s (Source: Wikipedia.com: Stop Sign). This Indiana Driver's Manual from 1964 shows both a red and a yellow stop sign, and reads "STOP (white on red, or black on yellow)." The manual also reminds motorists that "(i)t always means stop — a dead stop — not just a 'slow roll' ... "
See a yellow stop sign still in use in Muncie, Ind. This sign survived replacement by being tucked away at the end of a dead-end street.
Bike Trail Stop Sign » 1980s
This sign's design resembles that of the traditional; however, its small size (1' X 1') suggests that it was used on a bike trail rather than on the road.
Yellow Yield Sign » Circa 1950
Like stop signs, yield signs also had yellow backgrounds and black legends before they took on their current red and white color standard.
Yellow yield signs were used until the late 1960s or early 1970s. This Indiana Driver's Manual from 1964 shows a tringular yellow Yield sign with the legend "Right of Way" underneath and reads "The newer signs merely say YIELD and do not have the words right of way on them."
Four-Sided Yield Signs » Circa 1950
These 4-sided yield signs were common at low-traffic intersections in residential neighborhoods in the 1950s, and were used as alternatives to stop signs.
The sign on the left is embossed; the sign on the left is painted, and the corners are very sharp rather than curved.
Stop Sign Chair
This industrial-style chair was built from two Stop signs; one sign serves as the seat and another as the back rest. (The legs and supports are not made from the sign's aluminum.) This piece of furniture stands about 3 feet tall; it is very sturdy sturdy and can hold several hundred pounds.
Other Stop Signs and Supplimentary Plates
Other Yield Signs